Poetry is a deal of joy and pain and wonder, with a dash of the dictionary. ~Kahlil Gibran

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Happy Endings

I needed more than
standing
Shoulder to shoulder
Climbing stairs and 
becoming breathless


I needed more than
sitting
in the front seat
watching rain
fill up the parking lot


I needed more than
unanswered messages 
half made plans
and stifled dread
dead memories in my mouth


But i never needed more than
the tears
in your eyes when you spoke
to the street light
making puddles in the dark


I never thought of more than
your face
so full of something
tender and caring
but full of ghosts and losses too


Its still all I can think about
cold rain on asphalt
a city-scape of colored lights in the dark
your breath giving words to secrets
more kisses fell on my face than tears and raindrops


That night we opened up so much
I thought Id break in two
like halves of an eggshell
spilling my guts into the world
for you


All the same 
I cant find any regret
to paint us with
no shame, no fear, no hopelessness
just a kind of awe


Because somehow
though parents waited up
and reality spoke through the radio
my hope, a fragile, sad, and desperate thing
was born again that night


Happy Endings by Dakota Farley

No comments:

Post a Comment